Ribena cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the chance to make some cider with my favorite additive, Ribena (blackcurrant) cordial. I made a 1/2 test batch:

1/2 gal Old Orchard apple juice
10 oz Ribena (aprox)
Notty ale yeast
1/4 cup frozen crab apple pieces

I pour out enough apple juice to add the Ribena, which was added until I hit about 1.85 SG. Then fermented 2 weeks. Cold crashed and drank right away. It is very good. FG is 1.013, so a little sweet and 8.5abv, just like I like it. And the blackcurrant came through just a little. I will certainly make more of this!

Well, it doesn't look like too many are interested in this cider recipe, but I will give an update anyway.

It has quit fermenting at 1.013 (9% abv) so I bottled it into 1/2 heavy growlers, just in case it ferments a bit more. I tasted it and it was OK, not nearly as good as my typical cider with concentrate. But I will give it 3 months or so and see what happens. Can only get better.

I buy mine whenever I am on a business trip over the pond:) I brought back 3 bottles of the stuff back in May. You can find it online, but it is expensive with shipping

I noticed the Ribena has preservatives...Is it just a matter of diluting it enough so that it does not affect fermentation? If so, how much must it be diluted? Or does boiling it somehow render the preservatives inert? Forgive my ignorance, I'm a bit new to this.

Yes Ribena has preservatives. You can boil it, but many warn about the change in taste if you do. So I just dilute it. 1 part Ribena, 3 parts something else will get you started just fine.

Also, I found that my regular cider yeast, Nottingham Ale, does not like the Ribena. It will ferment, but very slow and with great difficulty. My last batch was with Red Star Premiere Blanc and it worked much better. But...

That may also be why it was my wonderful Ribena cider that just burst a 1/2 gal growler a few days ago (see separate post). I was so bummed! It is hard to get Ribena, so its not so easy to just start a new batch. Oh well, I still have one bottle left that I am watching closely to make sure it does not repeat the bottle bomb effect.

Good Luck!

I wonder if one could just use the Ribena to backsweeten, and bottle pasteurize when the carbonation is what you prefer.

I'd purchased some ribena intending to ferment it, then realized it had preservatives and just drank it, but now I'm motivated to try some in a cider. FYI it's widely available in Canada, for those within reach.

I just cracked open a bottle, 4 months old. It was very acidic. I sweetened it with some more Ribena syrup and it became drinkable, very strong blackcurrant taste. I REALLY like blackcurrants, but to be honest I don't think I will ferment with Ribena again. It is great for backsweetening, but it is just too acidic for fermentation. Maybe with some acid blend of some kind, but I don't think I will try another "cider" or wine with it.

Yes Ribena has preservatives. You can boil it, but many warn about the change in taste if you do. So I just dilute it. 1 part Ribena, 3 parts something else will get you started just fine.

Also, I found that my regular cider yeast, Nottingham Ale, does not like the Ribena. It will ferment, but very slow and with great difficulty. My last batch was with Red Star Premiere Blanc and it worked much better. But...

That may also be why it was my wonderful Ribena cider that just burst a 1/2 gal growler a few days ago (see separate post). I was so bummed! It is hard to get Ribena, so its not so easy to just start a new batch. Oh well, I still have one bottle left that I am watching closely to make sure it does not repeat the bottle bomb effect.

Good Luck!
Exactly, the preservative is only in sufficient quantity to act as a preservative BEFORE it gets diluted 10 to 1 or as the case my be . Kveik yeast , no problems with it, you can even ferment lemon juice bottles with preservatives 221 and 222 in them as long as they are diluted

Back