My Cryo Hopped IPA tastes like Apricot?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvpeacock

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would try out the new Cryo Hops on an IPA. I used 1 oz. of Apollo at 60 minutes for bittering, then used 2 oz. of Citra pellet hops at 5 minutes and 1 oz. of Citra Cryo Hops at flame out and let it sit for 15 minutes. I then dry hopped with 1 oz f Citra Cryo hops on day 3 of fermentation and another 1 oz of Citra Cryo hops on day 7 of fermentation. I fermented with S-04 starting at 65 degrees and began ramping it up to 72 degrees after day 3. After cold crashing it, I kegged it and let it naturally carbonate in the keg for 10 days before putting it in my kegerator. It came out good, but has a very strong apricot flavor. In the past, my Citra IPA's had much more of a grapefruit or citrus flavor, definitely not an apricot flavor. Anyone else experience apricot flavors when using Citra hops or with Citra Cryo hops?

I thought I would try out the new Cryo Hops on an IPA. I used 1 oz. of Apollo at 60 minutes for bittering, then used 2 oz. of Citra pellet hops at 5 minutes and 1 oz. of Citra Cryo Hops at flame out and let it sit for 15 minutes. I then dry hopped with 1 oz f Citra Cryo hops on day 3 of fermentation and another 1 oz of Citra Cryo hops on day 7 of fermentation. I fermented with S-04 starting at 65 degrees and began ramping it up to 72 degrees after day 3. After cold crashing it, I kegged it and let it naturally carbonate in the keg for 10 days before putting it in my kegerator. It came out good, but has a very strong apricot flavor. In the past, my Citra IPA's had much more of a grapefruit or citrus flavor, definitely not an apricot flavor. Anyone else experience apricot flavors when using Citra hops or with Citra Cryo hops?

My next batch is going to be a double red ipa, which I’m going to use Citra cryo hops only. I’ll see if I experience the same and let you know.

Did you enjoy it?

I just made one with cyro citra and mosaic, 1oz each for a 20 minute whirlpool starting at 175F and 1oz each dry hop for 5 days. It also had 2oz of regular Centennial boiled for 20 minutes. It was a great beer and the keg only lasted about 3 weeks. I didn't get any apricot out of it though.

I’ve used cryo hops in both the Mosaic and Citra varieties and have yet to get an apricot flavor, not sure what to tell you.

BIOTRANSFORMATION!

Lol just kidding not sure what happened but I do find cryo hops to be a little different in aroma and flavor.

Back