Stainless Ball Lock Disconnects Rusting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvpeacock

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago, I replaced most of my plastic ball lock disconnects with stainless ones.
ball lock.jpg

I assumed that they would last forever and they solved a height problem I had in my old kegerator (the plastic angled disconnects were too tall). The other night, I noticed a small beer leak coming from the beer out post/disconnect. When I removed the disconnect, I saw that the 3 ball bearings in the collar had rusted to the point where they were almost non-existent. When I checked my other disconnects, I discovered that the ball bearings in all of the beer out disconnects were rusted to one degree or another. The gas in disconnects were fine. The rust would explain why some of the collars had gotten a little sticky over time.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I found replacement ball bearings for the disconnects, but find it odd that the original bearings would rust.

I have a few sets that I purchased from Williams about a year ago. I’ve always rinsed and lubed the interior including the ball bearings and so far no issues.
There are items sold as “stainless steel “ that are made from less durable materials that can still be sold as SS.
I would use keg lube on them and rotate thoroughly. It shouldn’t impact your beer as it isn’t exposed to them.

Don't know about Keg King but Williams Brewing and MoreBeer.Com sold that style of QD, and they're all over AliExpress.
Wouldn't be the first purported "stainless steel" fitting that rusted - as mentioned the term encompasses stuff that frankly isn't...

Cheers!

I don’t recall where, but they say keg king on the collar
keg king products are all generic chinese stuff sold on alibab and aliexpress..they dont make stuff they buy and rebrand.
I have a lot of it and it all comes from different suppliers. its likely not a good grade of stainless. some of thier products are fine some not so much.

Do you have any links for stainless pin lock disconnects? I bought a single one years ago for a direct draw keg gadget that I built, but ever since then, I haven't been able to find a stainless pin lock with 1/4" MFL.

Yea, I've seen those for years, but all the fittings I have require the 1/4" MFL so that I can go directly to a John Guest fitting, the barb is a non-starter for me, unfortunately.

Thanks for looking though, I appreciate it!

Holy Cow! I missed the cost of these when I posted. Over $50 for a single pin lock fitting! Crazy. I completely understand. I would not have bought stainless ball lock fittings without the threads either. I much prefer them to barbs.

Haha. Yea, that is one very strong reason why I haven't made the plunge to stainless disconnects. I probably have on the range of over 50 sets of plastic disconnects total for pin lock and ball lock. Even at $20 per set, it adds up quickly!

I don’t remember where i saw it, but one of the retailers for that connector said the rings are nickel(?) plated and not stainless. The small bearings are probably chrome plated steel, once into the chrome, it will rust quickly in that environment.

I bought replacement ball bearings and tried to replace the rusted bearings this weekend. When I took the disconnects apart, I was shocked at the level of rust and corrosion on the bearings, the spring, the retaining wire and even the base of the disconnect. I tried cleaning the corrosion off without much luck. Worse yet, some of the rusted bearings will not come out of the holes in the disconnect. Those I was able to pry out left enough corrosion to prevent the new bearings from fitting properly. What looked like a great, life long purchase turned out to be a bust. Oh well, back to reliable, cheap and replaceable plastic disconnects.

Back