Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant wait for Stripped bass season. Took off every Monday in May to catch more of these!

1450284_10201658331318316_1079213839_n.jpg

I was a huge fan back when I was young. My family would go to the Upper Peninsula twice a year - in May for Crappie and in July for...everything else, really. We'd panfish from 7AM-4PM, eat fresh fish for dinner, then go trolling from 6PM until it was too dark to see anything at all. You'd never know what you'd end up with: Northern, Largemouth, Smallmouth, Walleye. Every single day for a week. It was beautiful.

Life caught up with me and I moved, quit fishing, got married, and eventually started missing fishing.

So last year my grandpa told me about a spot he's been fishing since he was 4 years old (he's considerably older now, btw). He wanted to take me with, and I couldn't have been happier. It involved a long drive into the middle of nowhere, as well as a hike across some fields right next to the cows, and climbing below and above fences, eventually walking through a woods only to stumble across a creek so narrow you could jump across it in some areas.

We caught a few very, very nice Brook Trout, and it was a heck of an experience. Actually, a few Steelhead have found their way into this stream and I saw one once we first arrived at the creek. I couldn't get him to bite, but this thing was huge. His fin was sticking out of the water, actually. THAT would have been a heck of a fight on a fly rod!

I really miss fishing. When I lived in Michigan I fished a lot. Had a boat and would go salmon fishing on the big lake. Did a lot of river fishing for steelhead, and smaller streams for brookies. Other times would go fish for walleye or perch. All of it was good.

A move to the soprano state and getting rid of my boat really put a stop to my fishing. I may have to think about getting back into it.

I use mostly mepps aglia 3's for lake fishing, especially good for pike.

In lapland we use mepps black fury 2 in the rivers, works well with trout.

Fishing and brewing are my two favorite activities! I'll get some pics up when the weather warms up and I get back out on the lakes.

I'm actually thinking about going crappie fishing this Sunday after brewing on Saturday.

Anyone ever used the Rapala Jointed Minnows? I got one for Xmas and I'm hoping it's a good multi-species lure.

They will work on a number of different species. The Rapala was my go-to lure for bass for many years, but never caught anything very big, unless it was on a deeper-running Shad Rap. I still use one once in a great while, but they require a lighter line for the right casting distance and action, and more open water than I like when bass fishing. Now I'm a deep-in-the-weeds-plastic-worm/jig-17lb.-test kinda guy.

I live on, what I hear, is the best smallie waters in the world...and that thing is RIDICULOUS!!

So, you must live on/near Lake Erie? Back in 1996, I hauled a 5lb. 4oz.'er out of Dunkirk Harbor. At the time it was so "big" it made the local paper. Now, it would be a runt compared to some of the slabs being taken out of Erie --- 7, 8, 9 lbs.

"There's a fine line between fishing & standing on the shore looking like an idiot."

I tend to just look like an idiot more often than not.

"There's a fine line between fishing & standing on the shore looking like an idiot."

I tend to just look like an idiot more often than not.

I seen the quote "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" and thought that is also the basis for many forms of fishing.

I too am a fisherman or insane.

So, you must live on/near Lake Erie? Back in 1996, I hauled a 5lb. 4oz.'er out of Dunkirk Harbor. At the time it was so "big" it made the local paper. Now, it would be a runt compared to some of the slabs being taken out of Erie --- 7, 8, 9 lbs.

Close. Other end of the Detroit River...Lake St. Clair.

One of the dumbest things I've done was try to cast a rubber trout worm (looks like a regular sized worm, weighs practically 0) with no extra weight or anything. It went a good 3 feet and tangled up my line.

Then when I was trying to fix my line I slipped on the mud and fell down.

Only pics I have available right now. Will load up some more recent ones later :)

Fishing with Travis and Reger-0047.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Memorial Weekend Fishing-0008.jpg

Fishing with Travis and Reger-0044.jpg

Fishing with Travis and Reger-0013.jpg

Ignore the miller light can. It's what was on the boat and before I started brewing......

Back in 2014, I was trolling from my brother's 29' sailboat on Lake Erie... I think I caught ONE lousy rock bass. We weren't sure if it was in season or not, so we tossed it back. He, on the other hand, kept catching sheepshead. Not good for eating, but MAN they put up a fight. :)

Anyone ever caught a snapper? :) I used to run a trot line in the pond in my front yard... loaded with dough balls for catfish. More than once I've hooked a snapping turtle. Let me tell you, you do NOT want to get your fingers anywhere close to their face! :D

I absolutely love to fish. My favorite hobby. Been doing it since I was a little kid. When I was a teenager we lived across the street from a lake and near a golf course too. I used to sneak on the course in the evening and catch some really big largemouth bass (catch and release even back then), on those small golf course ponds. The lake across the street was great too. I'm lucky the wife loves to fish and we have a small boat. When the boys were younger we took them fishing all the time also. Good times, even when you don't catch a thing. Great bonding time with the kids!

John

Wife, I and all three of my daughters all Fly fish...Trout and Salmon mostly.. Our youngest ( first picture) works for and is starting to fly for a Lodge in Alaska owned by my wife's sister and her husband.

img_0184.jpg

A1.jpg

IMG_2699.JPG

2004WA~1.jpg

2004PR~1.jpg

Wow, lots of nice ones. We live on the Mississippi, with bluegill,crappie, northern have all been on our plates. Still looking for the walleye and perch, and would love to figure out how to catch flatheads. Edit - and closest trout stream is less than 7 miles away.

I've been fishing since I was three yrs old...Dad taught us to fish, and trying to get better a fly fishing, and tying my own flies. It's right up there with gardening and now brewing.

I'm thinking about buying a pedal kayak. Anybody use one?

I have a Hobie Outback that I love. It's pretty tricked out; fish finder, turbo fins, anchor trolley, visi-pole light, etc. Nothing like being able to fish with both hands and not having to paddle. I've had it for three years now. Costs more but worth it.

It's pretty tricked out; fish finder, turbo fins, anchor trolley, visi-pole light, etc.

I went to the fishing show in Long Beach this week. I couldn't believe all the doo-dads and gadgetry you could mount on the rails. You could easily spend more on accessories than the kayak itself.

I'm thinking about buying a pedal kayak. Anybody use one?

I used my Uncles for going out on the ocean, not for fishing, but the hands free approach is a definite bonus for fishing. If you do go on the ocean, I'd bring an oar with you as sometimes the conditions make the pedaling a little interesting (ie turning your rudder while pedaling).

Latest posts

Back