Does flaked wheat need to be milled or crushed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
well....so, does it? I want to make my first all grain beer, and it is a Wit calling for flaked wheat.....should it be crushed? thanks in advance.

Though it doesn't hurt to mill if everything is in one bag. Wheat doesn't have husks anyways, so it won't aid in lautering.

Flaked grains are steamed to pregelatinize them and then pressure rolled to flatted them and expose the starches. So you don't need to do anything with them, just toss them in and mash. That said I always run them through the mill anyway because it helps mix them in and breaks it a bit more.

Ditto. They don't need to be put through the rollers again, but I always do it anyway.

I store all my grain in the basement and brew in the garage. That's where the Barley Crusher lives as well. Everything gets measured out on the scales downstairs and then into a bucket for the trip to the garage.

Back