Cooler As Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
I am thinking about going all grain in the near future but i have a question that I haven't seen on any of the boards, here it is, a lot of people are using coolers for there mash tun and i'm wondering if putting 140-170 degree water in a cooler that made to keep things cold if that will leach out any of the chemicals from the plastic into the wort?:confused::confused::confused:

Nope....afterall the plastic is foodgrade to begin with.

Being food grade is not a guarantee that chemicals won't leach.

Styrofoam containers are "food grade" but I wouldn't cook or microwave food in one. And #7 containers are "Food Grade" and they leach Bisphenol A (BPA). Everything I've read says #1 PETE bottles will leach a chemical (I forgot the name) if exposed to high heat such a being left in you car.

PVC also is considered "Food Grade" and will leach lead at high temps. Hence the use of CPVC for hot water pipes.

As far as I know most cooler inside liners are HDPE and are general considered safe (at present).

while we're on the subject of BPA, I thought it would be helpful to post some info I read on New Belgium Brewery's website re BPA:

We understand your concern. There is so much press about bisphenol A these days! We became aware of BPA in epoxy resin can liners during our due diligence prior to deciding on packaging in cans. We looked into the matter thoroughly. What became apparent is that there are no cans whose lining does not contain BPA. The industry is actively looking for alternatives, but as yet, none exist. We still believe the benefits of cans outweigh the potential risk of the liners because the anxiety surrounding BPA seems to have far outstripped the science. For example, The European Union’s Food Safety Authority exercises a stricter precautionary principal than our own FDA. EU research led them to increase the Tolerable Daily Intake (TDI) of BPA by a factor of five, from 600 parts per billion per day to 3000 parts per billion.

According to the Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc., the amount of BPA migrating from can coatings would result in the consumption of less than 0.105 micrograms (0.000105 milligrams) per kilogram body weight per day. This level is more than 475 times lower than the maximum acceptable or “reference” dose for BPA of 0.05 milligrams per kilogram body weight per day, which was determined to be the safe life-time exposure dose by the USEPA in 1993.

Also, per the European Food Safety Authority’s risk assessment notes, when BPA is ingested by humans it’s worked on by enzymes, gains a sugar molecule, loses all estrogenic power and is rapidly excreted in urine. But this is not what happens when BPA is administered to rats and mice either orally or intravenously. In each case the metabolic pathways are different, and there is more free BPA and/or other metabolites swimming around. This is, at a highly simplified level, why independent European, Japanese and American risk assessments rejected the studies which claim endocrine disruption.

All that said, we respect everyone’s right to choose their own level of acceptable risk. In other words, don’t worry, Fat Tire will still be available in glass bottles and served out of stainless steel kegs on tap. Thanks for asking!

New Belgium is a well respected, very eco-freindly brewery. so I personally have a lot of faith in what they say. I know that this isn't 100% on topic, but there's so much paranoia out there about things like this that I like to try to alleviate concerns if possible.

I am kind of in the same situation - I feel hesitant about cooler MLT plastic too.

So, my plan is to go all-grain and attempt direct fire MLT in my stainless steel kettle with false bottom. I am gonna see how that goes... scorching problems, difficulty in holding temp, attention required, etc.... if it goes well, I think I will stick with that approach. If not, then I am gonna open up the cooler MLT thought process again.

Back