Checking gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
When I first started brewing I followed kit directions except for transferring to a secondary. I just made sure to pitch plenty of yeast and left the beer in the fermenter for 4 weeks and bottled it. I have continued this practice with good results but I don't check the FG until I'm ready to bottle.

The more I read I see folks checking gravity after 7-14 days. Why be in such a hurry? It's my understanding the yeast still have some clean up work to do after the initial fermentation is complete. What could go wrong by just leaving the beer alone for 4 weeks? Sitting on the trub doesn't appear to be causing any problems for me or at least my unsophisticated palate. The beer clears up nicely and there is less exposure to O2 and contamination.

What am I missing by not checking gravity more often?

Thanks

I agree with you on the point about some extra time on the yeast cake and trub not causing issue, a lot of people feel the need to get the beer out of primary ASAP to prevent off-flavours but at least for the beers I make, 3 to 4 weeks does no perceptible damage.

I had an amber ale fermented with WLP005 at 67F stall on me at 55-60% attenuation even though I left it for 4 weeks in primary. Caught it on bottling day. In cases like this I'd have liked to know about it sooner so I could react. Also if you're dry hopping, you want to be sure your beer is going to be ready to package after your desired contact time.

For straight-forward fermentations I just check on bottling day generally too, as I don't want to lose an extra cylinder's worth of beer nor do I want to add the extra oxygen.

All yeast behaves differently so time to clean up is different. Plus many people have a schedule and don't want to wait if it isn't necessary. I have 2 primaries and two secondaries so if I want to brew more often I need to rack.

I check my beer's gravity twice, when I pitch the yeast, and when I transfer to keg.

I used to do an additional check with lagers to see if they were ready for the d-rest. Eventually it got to the point I could count days since pitch and look at the kreusen and amount of activity in the carboy, so I stopped that extra reading.

Back