Caramunich II -- looking for ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As title says. I have 7 lbs of Caramunich Type II on hand (Weyermann). I am looking for ideas that I can use it in. I have been playing around with SMASH lagers and originally I was going to add some of this to the mix, but I can't find many recipes with it. To be honest, I only bought it b/c Weyermann suggested it be used in festbier and marzen. I would like to find a few ales, maybe Brittish variety I can pair with fuggles and goldings hops.

It could work with an English Mild. Maybe a pound or so of it (in a 5 gallon batch), mixed with some Pale malt. EKG or Fuggles would be good. Some 1968 or similar yeast. Aim for a little on the drier side perhaps to be sure it doesn't end up sweet.

There's a huge "What's your favorite English Ale Recipe" thread that could be a good place to ask if you don't get enough hits with this thread.

Only slightly off topic, but is caramunich comparable to a mash combo w/ Munich and something like caramel 20, 40, etc. In other words will you achieve the same results?

Do you means Caramunich 2, or Munich 2. The former is a Crystal malt the latter Dark Munich. Would you make a Smash with only Crystal Malt?
Don't know if you're replying to me, or OP, but if me, yeah Caramunich II. No, it'd be horrible as a SMASH, but OP wasn't looking to do that, just, "add some of this to the [SMASH] mix".

Don't know if you're replying to me, or OP, but if me, yeah Caramunich II. No, it'd be horrible as a SMASH, but OP wasn't looking to do that, just, "add some of this to the [SMASH] mix".
Yes I was replying to you, treat it like any Crystal malt and add it as you would there. 5% should be enough in a German beer.

Any recommendations on ratios? 90/10 maybe?
I'm working on one inspired by Notch's polotmavy, which is essentially Vienna and about 15% carabohemian (which I'm subbing caramunich II for - best swap I could find). I'm working in pils and chit, though, but keeping the 15% caramunich II, as this one should be finishing around 4°P by design

Back