Experiment: Coffee Cinnamon Bochet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Floyd

Reaction score
So today I sat down to start my first attempt at a Bochet. For those of you who are unaware a Bochet is a Mead which make using boiled honey that has been caramelized. You do lose the natural honey fragrance but you gain a sort of toasted marshmallow and cherry flavor and smell, I'd even venture to say a little hint of chocolate. More details at the link below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/making-bochets-burnt-honey-meads.html

Coffee Cinnamon Bochet - 1 Gallon:
-3lbs Raw Grade A Unfiltered Honey (don't use any special honey, clover will do)
-Roughly 1 Gallon Water
-Nutrient/Energizer
-1 packet Lalvin 1122 Yeast Rehydrated

Process:
I put all 3 lbs of honey in a large pot (expect it to expand 5-7 times it's original volume as it starts to boil) and set it to Med. High Heat. Stirring fairly often it started to boil (unfortunately I did not note how long it took to boil). Here's what that looked like:
IMG_4387.jpg

Note, regular stirring will bring down the foam significantly. At boiling it smelled a little sweet and bitter, not certain how else to describe it. It went from a golden white foam to a caramel to a dark toffee/chocolate color and the honey was a deep amber.
IMG_4388.jpg

After about 40 minutes of boiling it started to smell a little like toasted marshmallow, so I let it go for another 5 minutes at which point the toasted smell was strong and it reached the desired color. At this point I started to add in VERY HOT water 1 cup at a time slamming the lid closed each time because the honey starts to foam violently due to the temperature differential. After 3 cups it no longer started spitting molten honey and I could add cold water. I stirred the solution to dissolve any solid honey on the bottom of the pot and let it cool from there. Here is the cooled result:
IMG_4389.jpg

From here on out is all the normal process one would do for Mead Making. Supposedly it will come out a deep amber red when finished. I'll be adding the cinnamon and coffee in Secondary. I'll post progress on here as it comes along.

OG: 1.110
Expected FG: ≈ 1.010 (should be a Medium Sweet Mead)
IMG_4390.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions, it's an odd process and not the best information out there on it.

Cheers!

Sweet, that's a great piece of advice that nowhere else on the internet seemed to have.

Also, I read somewhere someone passively suggesting that the process might attract bees. I'm here to tell you that it most definitely attracts bees, I had a good 20 or so find their way into my apartment through a hole in my screen and then a bunch lingering outside my kitchen window for an hour or so after I'd finished.

How much coffee and cinnamon did you add? Whole or ground? Brewed or beans? I'm curious about the coffee especially. A sweet coffee bochet sounds very delicious!

This sounds really neat. I'm interested to hear how this turns out down the road.

I'd also like to know how much coffee/cinnamon you used. Also, did you use whole beans and put them in some sort of bag (since you said you're going to pull the coffee out)?

How long do you plan on letting it sit in secondary before you bottle it?

How much coffee and cinnamon did you add? Whole or ground? Brewed or beans? I'm curious about the coffee especially. A sweet coffee bochet sounds very delicious!

1 Heaping Scoop of Whole Bean Medium Roast Coffee, Ground on Percolate Grind Setting (very coarse). I put it directly in the fermenter in a hop bag.

The Coffee and Cinnamon seems to compliment the Bochet flavor very well. Should be ready in a little over a month.

This sounds really neat. I'm interested to hear how this turns out down the road.

I'd also like to know how much coffee/cinnamon you used. Also, did you use whole beans and put them in some sort of bag (since you said you're going to pull the coffee out)?

How long do you plan on letting it sit in secondary before you bottle it?

This is for a 1 gallon test batch.

1 Heaping Scoop of Coffee (whole bean) Ground on a Percolater Grind Setting.

2" Whole Cinnamon Sticks Pummeled slightly.

I threw it all into a Hop Bag and then put it in the Fermenter. This was added in Secondary. I'm gonna leave the coffee on for a full week and then I'm going to add more Cinnamon as it wasn't present enough on last tasting.

I'm going to leave it in Secondary probably for another Month or so, it's finished much faster than expected and has already purged most of its CO2.

You can let the honey cool down some before adding the hot water so it doesnt splatter, you are just dissolving the cooked honey with the water and its safer to add it later. Each method has its pluses and minuses, a crockpot is limited in the level of heat it gives vs a burner and its hard to find one big enough to cook off a lot of honey. Pressure canning also works, like when people cook cans of condensed milk to make caramel, you can do 7 quarts at a time, but you will never got the burnt taste, more of the caramel but not toasted marshmellow. Burning it too much can make it bitter and they cooking honey can jump out at you if you put water in it when its too hot, also like making stovetop caramel you dont need to keep stirring it once it starts to foam if your pot is big enough.

For your recipe I think you should add a vanilla bean to unite the flavors, aging on a little oak will also make it a little bolder. We like to save some of the cooked honey (good on ice cream) for backsweetening if its needed so you can start with a lower SG to keep it from sticking at to high a point and then add some back to enhance the honey flavor.

WVMJ

So the coffee flavor is a little too strong for my taste, I'd reduce it by at least half a scoop per falling in future iterations. And I plan on adding more cinnamon as the flavor is not very present. Crazy enough my Bochet has only been going for a month and it's already almost finished.

Yeah, I think cooking the honey like this somehow makes it clear faster. Also, 71B-1122 is a pretty quick finisher. It's used a lot in the production of vins nouveau (literally "new wines"), which are wines generally meant to be sold in the same year the grapes are harvested.

So my buddy's club did a honey buy that I bought in on, I want to make a Lambic Mead(Bochet), my idea is to caramelize about 25%(2.5#) of the honey, add maltodextrin, and pitch a lambic blend "WL655", and let it sit for a year, and feed it every month or so with DAP, then maybe add some cinnamon sticks or fruit with 2 or so months to go, I will decide later, and keg and carb, as the flat nature of meads is what I don't like. Anybody see any better procedures or any holes in the recipe.

Sounds like a topic for a new thread.

There were a series of articles on the front page a while back about brewing lambic-style meads though. Start there maybe:
Part 1

So the Bochet is finished and it's the best tasting alcoholic beverage I've ever made.

A few things I'd change the next time around:
- add much more cinnamon, it's there but I need more. Turns out it takes a lot to balance with the Bochet flavor and coffee.
- I'd use less coffee in the future, it doesn't take much. Also I'd like to try an espresso as the coffee I put in was too complimentary with the chocolate flavor from the boiling process.
- I'd like to consider adding some oak chips to secondary as WVMJ suggested to round out the flavor more.
- I'd also like to boil it just a little less as I think the honey is too dark and I'm curious to see how it effects the flavor.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442456164.776488.jpg
Roughly 14% ABV. Tastes like Chocolate, cherries, coffee and cinnamon. Very smooth. Cheers! (The other bottle is a Lavender and Green Tea Mead bottled on the same day.

So about two months total? Seems pretty quick, especially for a bochet. I haven't made one, but am plan on starting one soon.

What was your actual FG?

You said "1 heaping scoop" of beans, could you translate that to volume or weight? 1/2 cup?

Does burning the honey reduce the amount of fermentable sugars available to the yeast?

Does burning the honey reduce the amount of fermentable sugars available to the yeast?

It should, you'd be converting Glucose and Fructose into larger sugars, and eventually not beable to ferement them. You could produce Sucrose (G+F) and Maltose (G+G).

From there I'm not sure where the Mono and Di sacharides would go, but eventually you'd build up something the yeast can't eat. - basically it is a caramelization process (or mallard reactions).

So about two months total? Seems pretty quick, especially for a bochet. I haven't made one, but am plan on starting one soon.

What was your actual FG?

You said it, I was shocked when primary was finished in a week. I was concerned about it so I dropped my hydrometer into the jug and it bottomed out before I could even get a reading, so it wasn't a stalling ferment it just went really fast. A couple people have floated some ideas as to why, some have said that in their experience Bochets go quickly through Primary and another person suggested that because I used an entire packet of yeast for a 1 gallon batch that it would go quicker. Also, keep in mind that I was using 1122 which is used specifically for young wines.

And as far as actual FG see above, it had to be below 1.010 by the end as that's where the liquid was when it bottomed out. Given that it's 1122 I'd guess that it's slightly above 14% when I consider prior experience with Meads with similar OG.

You said "1 heaping scoop" of beans, could you translate that to volume or weight? 1/2 cup?

A standard coffee scoop is approximately 2 Tbsp, so heaping isn't very exact but any differences in scoops would be close to negligible as it would only very by a few beans at most.

It's .125 cups by the way.

I would definitely consider hedging bets when deciding on a starting gravity, I'd imagine that you would desire to make a Bochet a little sweet and it definitely came out drier than a normal Mead with the same OG (I did add just a hint of back sweetening with a better honey and it tasted MARVELOUS). In fact, I'm starting a new 1 Gallon batch as I type and I'm starting with a higher gravity this time around. In other words, yes, I think it does create more un-fermentable sugars but keep in mind Honey is something like 95% fermentable so losing some fermentability isn't really a big deal.

Seriously thinking of trying this using my mayan chocolate coffee. (Slight dark chocolate flavor with a spicy bite)

If I wanted it to end up a bit sweet, how much honey do you think I should start with?

Seriously thinking of trying this using my mayan chocolate coffee. (Slight dark chocolate flavor with a spicy bite)

If I wanted it to end up a bit sweet, how much honey do you think I should start with?

For my first 1 Gallon my OG was 1.110 with 3 lbs of honey. It wasn't as sweet as I wanted to I back sweetened with 1/4 lb of honey after it finished and let it sit for a few weeks in case it started back up. The batch I'm making as I type this is using 3 1/2 lbs of the same honey, I'll report my OG on version 2 as soon as I'm finished. Always hedge your bets though as you can always add more honey to get you to your target OG.

.... In other words, yes, I think it does create more un-fermentable sugars but keep in mind Honey is something like 95% fermentable so losing some fermentability isn't really a big deal.

in terms of sugar, honey is closer to 100% fermentable, possibly 105%.... unless you overload the yeast, all the honey will ferment.

Ok, so honey, water, yeast, nutrient and energizer into primary, then racked onto coffee and cinnamon for secondary? Granted im new to this, about how much nutrient and energizer went in?

Ok, so honey, water, yeast, nutrient and energizer into primary, then racked onto coffee and cinnamon for secondary? Granted im new to this, about how much nutrient and energizer went in?

I racked it to a Secondary without any additions and let it sit before racking it to a Third with the Coffee/Cinnamon. I wanted to give the yeast some time to clean up before I threw in some coffee and messed up the acid levels.

And It was such a small batch (1 gallon) that I didn't bother measuring it out stringently but it was roughly:

0.4 tsp Nutrient
0.2 tsp Energizer

Back